Monday, 25 July 2016

Gedling Southbank 2-2 Bilborough Town

Monday night football !!!  Smashing game with a couple of cracking goals and a really rubbish penalty, all in the company of Rob Hornby and Wayne Morrison - and what they don't know about the local non-league scene is not worth knowing!!!

These games are all about learning, and I learned quite a bit tonight re Gedling SB. They are the Charter Standard Community National award winners 2016, and have teams playing from senior level, right down to a 3-6 year old's section!  Their home is on Hollingwood Lane, Calverton and the outside pitch was where this PSF took place. Can't grumble at all - the pitch looked great, the dugouts in good order and despite a small rain shower halfway through the first period, this was a very pleasant 90+ minutes.

The game itself was between two Notts Senior League teams. Southbank ply their trade in Division One whilst Town are in the Premier Division, but as with most PSF that doesn't mean a lot to the players- they are simply striving to improve their fitness and help the team be primed and ready for the start of their respective seasons. (If you believe that, you will believe anything)!!! These players all showed total commitment to the cause, and produced a game that was very enjoyable to watch.

Bilborough were first on the scoresheet with just 5 minutes played when left-back Liam Stewart cut into the box and slammed the ball across the GSB keeper and into the far corner. Great strike - what a start!

The hosts didn't let heads drop though and continued playing some good passing stuff - their industries were rewarded on 18 when they were awarded a penalty after a reckless challenge was punished by the Referee. Ben Soar stepped up to fire past Nick Ivanov to level the scores. H-T 1-1

The second half was barely 8 minutes old when Gedling gifted their visitors the lead - a mix up at the back saw the keeper stranded on the edge of his area, and when the ball fell to Ricky Law, the striker had to simply tap into the empty net. Again, the home team didn't give up, and after mounting serious pressure on the Town back line, Tom Jefferies finished a neat move by slotting the ball home from the corner of the 18 yard box to bring the scores back level.  

Bilborough were awarded a second penalty with three minutes left on the clock - and Ricky Law stepped up - stopped - started - stopped and then fired hopelessly wide of the goal.  A seem to remember a new FIFA law change has been introduced to stop this stuttering run up -- or have I just made that up? Answers on a postcard please....F-T 2-2